Friday 9 May 2008

observation, improvisation, design...

Observing - patterns in nature, in society, in my personal life.
Improvisation - a readiness to respond, to interact.
It means learning on the go, conceptualization through action.

This two-way process of observing and interacting is how my design for life adapts day by day. Design should be dynamic, flexible, open-ended...

My design process at the moment is focused on multi-functionality.

health,
home-making,
intimacy,
operations,
ecology,
community.

To serve one function means serving other functions simultaneously. If it makes me fitter, happier, if it serves other people and serves the environment, then it is a multi-functional activity worth pursuing. The key is to make sure the main needs are still served as highest priority.

Main needs:

Health - served by good nutritional food, but also by healthy movement, active routines, outdoor adventures. Our health serves each other and our baby's health.
The health of the Ripley is served directly through personal happiness, happy food, and happy touch magic.

Home - a sensual and soothing bedroom to sleep, dream and renew energy. Creative space to be productive. Clean and sustainable kitchen. A room for our baby. Sustainable routines (e.g. doing the laundry regularly so it doesn't pile out of control).

Intimacy - loving touch magic, attention and care, as well as an inspiring environment to interact and live in. All actions should work within the flow of personal loving service through deep soulful acts. Even if it's just in the attitude things get done in.

Operations - Work to have food, grow enough food in garden to become self-sustained. Work with creative media, making inspiring gifts to make poeple go WOW.
NB: need to make money. Make money MY way, by working with passion and skill.

Ecology - improving the health of the earth. Bottom-up action, starts with the home, extends to local environment - and so on.

Community - give love to close friends, show them how much we value each person for who they are. Help carry each others burdens, serve each other where the need is.

So, my observations are focused on the processes involved in these main functions, and how to engage in activities where these functions are served at the same time.

Gardening

Gardening helps me be healthier, it clears my mind, it provides food, it improves the ecological systems around my home, it turns into growing gifts I can share with my community.

Recycle Craft

Making functional objects, toys, sculptures, collages, etc from recycled materials. This means I recycle, thus serving the environment whilst cleaning my home. It also inspires others to care for living things and improving their environments. I engage in a creative activity, improving my mind and health. I create gifts that would inspire people and make them happy. I can sell them and make money.

Blogging

Allows me to organise my ideas, share my life with family and friends, provide a channel for creativity -motivating me to write better, go out and discover things, have experiences worth sharing, taking photo's, making pictures, etc.

Observation means having a keen awareness of how daily routines serve multiple functions.
This is my focus for this month - improvising and playing with processes that becomes multi-functional.

No comments: