Monday 12 May 2008

what's it worth to you?

Imagine slippery stones across a river, someone asks you to run over...
What's in it for me? might be your first thought.

Maybe just the thrill would inspire me to leap across, maybe I want to make my friends think I'm adventurous and brave!

Now, we move to the top of some ridiculously high spot on a skyscraper. You can see a beam stretching across to a building nearby, spanning across the dizzying heights...

Someone asks you to walk ...come on... to the other side.

What's it worth to you?

I would do it for...
(man, i don't know, can i slide over on my bum?)

for something you can have in life, something you can do...

If someone offered me a place where my house or land wasn't owned by someone, if I could build my own house there, grow trees, grow food, live off the land, share the place with some good life-making companions, creating a place where children can play and learn, growing wise and strong... without a doubt. I think I would even attempt a nervous scuttle to the other side.

I value autonomy.
I value community above socio-economic status.
If I can see my wife and child having happy and healthy lives along with me...
I value spiritual and creative inspiration more than material wealth.
I desire to play as I work.
I desire to be in nature, discovering, in motion, and for my life patterns to constantly evolve.

What things in this life are worthy of my potential undoing?

1 comment:

Pablo said...

yay Louis,

Thank you for giving me beautiful things to read while im at work. :)

- P